What is SOLOSEC?
SOLOSEC® (secnidazole) 2g oral granules is a prescription medicine used to treat bacterial vaginosis in females 12 years of age and older. SOLOSEC is used to treat Trichomoniasis, a common sexually transmitted infection (STI), in people 12 years of age and older. People taking SOLOSEC for Trichomoniasis should avoid having sex until they and their sex partners are treated with the same dose and at the same time, to prevent reinfection. It is not known if SOLOSEC is safe and effective in children under 12 years of age.
How should I take SOLOSEC?
SOLOSEC is a single-dose therapy for oral use. Use SOLOSEC by sprinkling an entire packet of SOLOSEC onto applesauce, yogurt, or pudding. The entire dose should be taken at once, and finished within 30 minutes. Avoid chewing or crunching the granules. SOLOSEC should not be taken by dissolving the granules in any liquid. Avoid drinking alcohol during treatment with SOLOSEC and for 2 days (48 hours) after you take SOLOSEC.
Important Safety Information
- You should not use SOLOSEC if you've had an allergic reaction to secnidazole, other ingredients of the formulation, or other nitroimidazole derivatives or have Cockayne syndrome.
Before taking SOLOSEC, tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you
- Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. Breastfeeding is not recommended. You should not breastfeed for 96 hours (4 days) after taking SOLOSEC.
- Vaginal yeast infections may occur with SOLOSEC and require an antifungal treatment.
- The most common side effects of SOLOSEC include headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, vaginal itching and a bad, bitter or metallic taste in your mouth (dysgeusia).
- Take SOLOSEC exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to. Do not take SOLOSEC more often than it is prescribed.
Call your doctor for medical advice on side effects. You are encouraged to report suspected side effects of prescription drugs to FDA at www.fda.gov/MedWatch also at 1-800-FDA-1088 or contact Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. at 1-844-SOLOSEC (1-844-765-6732).
Please see full prescribing information for SOLOSEC, available here.